I’ll admit it straight away – I struggled. And not just a tad, I struggled big time. I didn’t have my grad dress until the day before the actual graduation. And that ain’t a good feeling, I’m telling ya. Now keep in mind, this is my experience & my tips, might not be your style & might not be the way you want that ah-mazing important day be like, might not even be the way graduation roles in your country, so after all, just do it your way obviously, but I did get some google tips that probably saved my life (read saved me a bit of awkwardness & nerves).
- white or cream colour (because apparently these colours compliment the black/dark navy gown the best – at least for the top part of your outfit, like a blouse or a shirt, when you wear all black, you end up just looking like you goin to a funeral and wearing any other colour might clash badly, but do check the colours of your gown before you go on a dress hunt please, they might have a different colour combo which you should address!)
- short sleeves (obviously not necessary, but trust me, it’s gonna get hot – at least at my uni, we had to make a little run on the stage, since there were so many people queueing up to get their degree, haha!)
- decent length (although you will be covered with a full length gown, you still will be on a stage, hence there will be people looking at you from ‘down under’!)
- comfy shoes (forget mahussive heels, no matter how good they look & if you are able to, do wear some sort of heelage – I have seen girls trippin over their heels & since a minimum half of you will have some sort of heel goin on, you don’t wanna be the shortest one – especially when you already a midget like me, of course, if you know you gonna fall over, do wear your flats, there’s nothing wrong about it after all!)
- tights (obviously with a spare pair… or two)
accessorise (keep it simple, golden or silver, not too dangly, since it freaking tangles with the gown ‘mechanism’, haha)
bobby pins/pins (buy a pack and keep them somewhere close, gown is not the smartest invention and it will be flying all over the place, same goes for the hat!)
HAIR & MAKE-UP
Simple – that goes for make-up & hair too! You will have a freakin hat on, so don’t try to go for high buns or difficult high creations, a low bun or loose hair will do. And as I said before, bring loads of bobby pins, they will come handy!
Make-up is up to you, but remember you will be in loads of pictures and there’s a chance that you might cry or/and get super hot and grossly sweaty so something waterproof won’t hurt.