It’s about time those dreaded “goals for 2019” posts started popping up in you feed, isn’t it? Let’s start with this one! I’m not one to set myself many new year’s resolutions – apart from that one time when I set myself a list of 52, which was in 2007 and I’m still recovering from that traumatic experience of failing miserably whole 52 times in a single month. But 2018 has definitely been a big year for me (at the end of 2017 I moved countries, started a new job, moved to a new flat, started a new relationship and a whole bunch of friendships, it was one of those proper “from scratch” times in my life) and now I feel that things have settled a bit, I should really give myself a kick in the backside and look at those areas of my life which I’ve abandoned in the name of general survival. Which most definitely have been sports and any sort of physical activity really. Do you remember that time when I started running regularly and did yoga every morning? When I was feeling bloomin’ fresh & nothing ached? Me neither, it was a whole year ago. Now it’s time to fix that!
MY 2019 GOALS FOR YOGA
Over the past year I managed to do a spot of yoga here & there. For example I did take part in an open air field yoga event in Prague which was pretty amazing and I really did enjoy that. It was in the middle of a heatwave we had back in July and the location was this quaint island on the Vltava river. My goal for 2019 is pretty simple – I want to incorporate yoga into my daily routine again. I shall be taking the following steps:
- wake up 30 minutes earlier every day and have a good yoga stretch
- dedicate a wall in our apartment to my yoga stretches (I love headstands but haven’t really found that perfect spot for them yet)
- focus on 2 proper yoga sessions a week (at least an hour long ones) either at home or in a studio
- take part in that open air field yoga event again
- take part in at least one other yoga event in Prague (there are so many and they are usually for free, so doh!)
- get a pair of cheap yoga pants (I do love the look of dark burgundy and pink ones, what do you think?) that I can keep at work (then I have no excuses that I need to go home & get changed & that’ll take a zillion years so I don’t really have time to go today, oh well)
- try practising yoga in nature (here in Prague it’s ever so easy to find a huge park or even travel outside of the city to a forest so why not!)
- focus more on back stretches since Jakub got me a proper yoga wheel (I’ve wanted one for ever and since having it I’ve hardly used it)
MY 2019 GOALS FOR RUNNING
I’ve been slightly better at running this year compared to my extremely poor yoga efforts. I’ve done well over 30 5k runs this year including one in Malta! I do have to admit that this year’s summer in Prague has been insane and the heat has kept me indoors most of the time, so I did my running mostly in winter and spring and now I’ve picked it up again. There are some excellent running paths here, even in the city centre, and I genuinely love running around here. What’s a bit pants now is that it’s getting dark at 3pm and the paths are not that well lit so I’ve had to surrender and shift my running efforts into the gym. Which is not terrible and I’ve even managed to beat my 5k PB recently, say what! So what are my running goals for 2019?
- keep running twice a week (on a treadmill if the weather doesn’t allow me to run outside)
- our holiday runs (as it’s turned out, running abroad is actually so much fun, especially when accompanied by a stunning sea view!)
- beat my 5k PB (20 min would be perfect but let’s be real here, I’ll be happy if I get it down to 25 min without choking my heart out)
- sign up for at least two 15k runs
- sign up for a 10k trail run (because that sounds well exciting and perhaps I make it without breaking both legs, let’s see about that)
- sign up for a half marathon in 2020 (you ought to sign up a year in advance so it’s cheaper innit)
- get a pair of compression sleeves because slothing is apparently my thing (but it makes my arms go to sleep after 5 minutes)
- get a pair of proper running shorts that won’t chafe the life out of me
I’ve been trying to keep it fairly level headed and realistic when coming up with these goals, because let’s be honest, I’ve done very little this year and I’ve gone through a fairly serious health problem (which I shall tell you about another time – it’s a rather long story featuring not so tiny creepy crawlies and my intestines, yay!) so I can’t expect my body to just switch on and be all in top condition straight away. I fear it will be a long painful journey but I’m very excited for it indeed!
What are your sports goals for 2019?
Share them with me in the comments below!