Watches and jewellery are such a seemingly unimportant part of the fashion world. Yet when you think about it – they’ve been around for centuries. They’ve always been held at utmost importance by people. Certain cultures perceive wedding jewels as an investment in one’s future. And watches used to be inherited from generations to generations for decades and decades. Just imagine that sheer horror on your children’s faces if they inherited your Primark watch though! Oh dear! I say we avoid this future faux pas and stop buying watches haphazardly, especially from fast fashion stores. Let’s bring back elegance, quality and timeless beauty into the game. What do you say?
Nordgreen – the great Scandinavian watch designers with a sustainable agenda
Nordgreen is a brand that brings together sophisticated minimalism in the form of Scandinavian design together with Danish values. This is why they are able to create the perfect timeless watch design with our environment in mind. Are they really that sustainable though? It must be very resource heavy to create watches, right?
- Carbon neutral: By planting thousands and thousands of trees, the company strives to offset carbon emissions as much as possible, including the ones created by sending your order out.
- Sustainably packaged: The brand sources all parts of the packaging sustainably. For example they make the felting inside the box out of recycled plastic bottles.
- Supporting and giving back: Nordgreen work with three charities in particular supporting three immensely important causes – find out more about each one right here.
- Responsible manufacturing process: The brand only partners with manufacturers that are able to fulfil their Danish values, including fair wages and all resources used to create each watch.
Which watch to pick?
Nordgreen only really creates very minimalist and practical watches. They are not unnecessarily bulky, the faces are extremely neat and easy to read. They come in all classic colour & material combinations you could ever ask for – that being a white & silver face and leather, metal mesh and woven nylon strap.
The brand very kindly gifted me my all time favourite watch (I’ve had it from a non-sustainable retailer and the quality wasn’t great either to so it broke fairly quickly). It’s the Infinity watch with a white/silver 40 mm dial and a silver mesh strap. I think the design is absolutely perfect and goes with everything. I also have my eye on the brown and black leather strap and am actually considering just getting the replaceable straps rather than a full new watch.
- Infinity – Black Leather
- Infinity – Silver
- Philosopher – Gold
- Philosopher – Olive Green Nylon
- And one more – Philosopher – Brown Leather
Are these watches worth the investment?
Yes, a resounding yes. I used to buy that, let’s call it an affordable option, multiple times every couple of years. And it wasn’t working properly half of the time anyways. Buying a watch with a slightly higher price tag than you fast fashion favourites offer, gives you saving in a long term (less or no repurchases). In addition to that, you won’t be tempted to buy another watch that’s “on trend” because a classic watch like this one won’t ever feel like it’s out of style. Which style is your favourite?
(As I’ve already mentioned, Nordgreen have very kindly gifted me this watch. However I’m in no form affiliated with them and I’m so happy to be able to share this beautiful sustainable brand with you!)